Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lord Howe books


I’d lived at Lord Howe for about a year before I discovered the book club.  And now I’m not sure how I lived without it.  We receive ten copies of a novel on the ship from the Port Macquarie library, read them and share them around (there’s usually a few more readers than books).  Every couple of months we meet up to discuss the book, distribute the next book and decide what to order next.  The meetings are wonderful – everyone brings an offering of food and something to drink and we gossip about island politics and women’s business before discussing the book quite seriously and taking turns to rate it out of ten.
 

Over summer, we’ve been reading Bright Air by Barry Maitland – a murder mystery set on Lord Howe.  I was looking forward to reading it, partly because Cindy, who had already read it, said that she’d rather be run over by a bus than read it again.  There's something quite fun about really bad fiction, but in the end I just couldn’t finish it.  Life is too short!  

A visiting journalist, Marion Hume, very kindly gave me a copy of The Freudian Slip last week.  She says that it's wonderful (and that there’s a Lord Howe moment somewhere in the book).  I can't wait to get started.  Hope it's better than Bright Air! 

No comments:

Post a Comment